[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
forum.manleypopcornmachine.com • View topic - Did Walt Disney do some of the Manley art work?

forum.manleypopcornmachine.com

Manley Popcorn Machine Forum

Photo Gallery
Manley Popcorn Machine Web Page

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 pm 

My Dad, Jim Fritts, worked at Manleys as the Controller. He started in 1946 or '47 and worked until '64 or '65. Dad said that Walt Disney did some of the art work that was used at Manleys. He mentioned the elephant and I believe he was talking about the one on the jumbo container (see the Merchanise page - raw containers - it is the middle picture).

After Disney quit the KC Star, he did work in advertising 1920 - 1923 so it is possible. Does anyone know about this?

My Dad passed away a number of years ago so I can't ask him. I'm pretty sure that Chuck Manley (Charles Manley, Jr.) has died and I don't know if his wife Kaye is still alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

That would be interesting if Walt Disney did some of the artwork. Burch didn't begin until 1922 or 1923. So, there is not much time for overlap.

The elephant that you are referring to is one of the older ones. This can also is found with the Burch logo rather than the Manley logo. The Manley logo started being used in 1940. Maybe some of the Burch popcorn boxes with the elephant on it would be a possibility. Give me a couple of days, and I will try to post some photos of Burch popcorn boxes.

Thanks for sharing.

Ross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Here are some of the Burch Popcorn boxes with elephants on them:

Ross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 am 

I have some Manley brand boxes with similar elephants on them.

Also, one of the Manleys is still alive (I want to say Jim?), and living in Denver. The old owner of our theatre is friends with him, and actually went to see him a few months ago. I do know that he does not have any old parts or literature stashed away :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm 

The elephant on this Manley popcorn bag looks a little more cartoonish and Disney-ish. Burch Manufacturing Company (the Manley, Inc. precursor) originated in Kansas City, MO in1922. Walt Disney worked for the Kansas City Film Ad Company sometime between 1920 and 1923. He moved from Kansas City to Los Angeles around 1924, or possibly late 1923. Anyone know when the earliest example of this elephant appeared?

Last edited by marcus on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: So Interesting!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm 

Hi All!
I am new to the website, and am a 27 year old Manley. I've recently taken much greater interest in my family history. This site and these forums have been a joy, and I've learned a great deal!
To answer an earlier post, both Chuck Jr and Kaye Manley have passed on. However, the family may still have albums and information. Thanks for having this awesome site! One day, I'll have my very own Manley Popcorn Machine! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for joining. Glad to have a member of the family with us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 pm 

According to Dave Schmidt, son of Victor Schmidt who started with Burch when he started the company, Walt Disney did design the original box.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm 

Which one is the original box?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Holcombhokeguy for the information on the artwork.

Marcus that is a good question. I am not sure how we would date them. The Burch name was used from the origin of the company 1922/1923 through the early 1940s (machines until 1940, supplies slightly longer).

However, the elephant on the Burch containers was fairly consistent on the examples that I have seen.