[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
forum.manleypopcornmachine.com • View topic - STAR Theatre Recipe - Berkeley Springs, West Virginia

forum.manleypopcornmachine.com

Manley Popcorn Machine Forum

Photo Gallery
Manley Popcorn Machine Web Page

It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:51 pm 

STAR Theatre
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
Specialty Recipe
STAR Popcorn
What's a movie without popcorn?

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/wv/b/wvb77081.htm

Real butter popcorn is one of the favorite attractions at the STAR Theatre in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, supporting the local claim that it's the best popcorn to be found in four states! When reports surfaced in 1994 revealing the high fat dangers of theater popcorn, we rebelled and did our own study.

For nearly two decades, STAR popcorn had been popped in 100 percent peanut oil in the 7-foot tall, red, glowing Manley popcorn machine. Crunching the numbers, we found that our 8.5-ounce box of plain popcorn, a bargain at one dollar, had only 179 calories and was 16 percent fat. Because the oil used is "good" peanut oil, those 20 grams of fat in each box included only 3.42 grams of saturated ("bad") fat.

The conclusion made by Tari Hampe, famed owner of the eponymous cafe next door as well as an expert on fat, was "The STAR's popcorn is a good-looking food and the best snack for kids to eat at the movies."

Our Recipe...
Heat up the steel tub in the Manley machine for approximately half an hour.

Once the tub is smokin', add the following:
2 Tablespoons 100 percent peanut oil
1-1/2 cups raw popcorn (We buy our ingredients at Sam's Club.)
Turn on the rotor, close the steel lid, and let it pop. Sprinkle with finer grain popcorn salt.

Serves: Enough for about 4 folks with big orders.
-Jeanne Mozier - Popcorn Empress

Post subject: oil
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 am 

i love my model 48 pops great corn my question is how much oil do i use per batch?2 table spoons seems way to little. doesn't enen cover the corn how can it pop the corn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

You want about a 4 to 1 ratio of corn to oil.

So, for the M-line models you want 12 ounces of corn, 3 ounces of oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of popcorn salt (I tend to go light on the salt, so please salt to taste). I put the oil in the kettle and let it get hot, then I add the corn and salt to the kettle. Some of the older recipes used more oil.

For most Premier models you will want 8 ounces of corn, 2 ounces of oil, and 1 teaspoon of popcorn salt.

Dick, if I remember correctly your machine is an M-line.

A tablespoon is 1/2 fluid ounce, so the Star Theater recipe is a little light on the oil.

Ross.

Post subject: Canadian Style
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:49 am 

I feel , after 3 pots the popper really does it's thing;
when you start hearing the whole Kettle pop at once;
now your making $
i have found also, if you help the corn out of the kettle with the scoop
(safety glasses for the kids),it leaves room in the kettle, to expand whats left
i also love using coconut oil even though it leaves a waxy taste on your tonge,

P.s. as far flavorsol is concerned , i used lots inside a bar complex, (1 1/2 TBL spoons
they sold more beer,but complained about the mess,Go figure drunk college kids and popcorn ,LOL
i asked if his janitor vacuumed the whole floor ,
bastard bought his own machine and pinched me out, lol
Coke , Pepsi ,Dr. Pepper? what washes down popcorn best ?
make mine the old time orange crush concentrate please
out of the spinning dispenser, IE lawn sprinkler type?. Circa:1965.....Steve

Manley Super Stadium 37
Manley Caramel Corn Cooker/Coater Model 119
Gold Medal Cotton Candy Model WhirlWind
Gold medal Hawaii's Finest Shave Ice Model 1024

Post subject: oil amount and heating
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm 

Hi Jim, Ross and everyone,

I am questioning not only the small amount of oil, but also the half hour kettle heating in the STAR Theatre recipe. Does it really need 30 minutes preheating without oil in it? Then you throw cold oil (or maybe pre-warmed oil) into the smokin' hot pot? Sounds dangerous.

Marcus.

Last edited by marcus on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Forum.

The recipe does sound a little light on the oil. I go with a minimum 4 to 1 ratio. Since their machine is a 12 ounce kettle, 3 ounces of oil would be the minimum. If you have an unseasoned kettle, I would go with 4 ounces, maybe a little more. Old Manley recipes have called for up to a 2 to 1 ratio, which would be 6 ounces of oil. I think that is excessive.

For a 12 ounce kettle, I would go with 12 ounces of popcorn, 3-4 ounces of coconut oil, and a 1/2 teaspoon of popcorn salt (this could be a little light on the salt as I don’t like a lot of salt on my popcorn). Put the oil into the kettle, and wait for it to get hot. Smoke should be rolling out of the kettle when it is at the correct temperature. Then add the salt and corn and in a few minutes you should have popcorn.

You should not heat your kettle without some oil in it—especially if it is unseasoned. I would put the oil in early and wait for it to get hot. On my M-47 it takes about 10 minutes. My Model 126 it takes longer—15-20 minutes.

The newer Manley kettles have a High-Limit thermostat. This will keep the kettle from becoming too hot. Coconut oil has a flash point of around 550 degrees.

Post subject: high medium low
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 pm 

The kettle on the 1939 model (with Burch stamped kettle) has a high, medium, and low setting. Shall I start with medium and see how that works out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure about the 1939 model, but the later Model 32 was designed to run on the Medium setting. So, I would start there.

Post subject: medium heat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:05 am 

id say the 2 elements would be used until the kettle came up to temperature , i mean poppers really pop after the first 3 batches then use the medium . depends if you have a line up of hungry movie goers 8)

Manley Super Stadium 37
Manley Caramel Corn Cooker/Coater Model 119
Gold Medal Cotton Candy Model WhirlWind
Gold medal Hawaii's Finest Shave Ice Model 1024

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:45 am 

I bought a laser infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the temp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:13 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:02 pm 

I saw an article recently that said coconut oil was healthy. I can't remember where I saw it, but if I see it again, I will post it.