[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ./includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ./includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ./includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file ./includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ./includes/functions.php:3887)
forum.manleypopcornmachine.com • View topic - Petti-Pop

forum.manleypopcornmachine.com

Manley Popcorn Machine Forum

Photo Gallery
Manley Popcorn Machine Web Page

It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petti-Pop
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to a new member (KB8SXK), we now have photos of the Model 185, Petti-Pop. Please check the Petti-Pop page for the update:

Also, he has posted some photos in the Photo Gallery.

It appears that the frame is painted metal, rather than polished aluminum. The switch plate is rather interesting in that they tried to give it some eye appeal by placing rectangles on it. KB8SXK, is that a decal overtop the switch plate or is that engraved into it?

One other question, is the drawer at the bottom a cash drawer or is it for the "old maids"?

They did improve the location of the electrical wire for the plug-in. The Premier table top models had it leaving the top of the machine. This model exits the the bottom back of the machine--big improvement.

KB8SXK, you have a great looking machine! And it is operational! Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for letting me use your photos for the Web site.

Ross.

Post subject: Petti-Pop 185
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:22 pm 

Switch plate has an overlay with lines in it. I was thinking of a way to reproduce this. Drawer at the bottom is it for the "old maids" I think older corn was smaller because a lot of old maids will not drop because of size. I am cooking on a 30 amp circuit and will be trying on a 20 amp circuit just to see if it works. If you see smoke in Michigan, you know the test failed. I cooked lots of corn and I find it tastes best to me with
12oz. of corn, 6oz. of oil and 1 tbs. of flavocol. I replaced lamps inside with flourescent bulbs to help load 120 watts vs 26 watts. Replaced stir shaft broken pins with cotter type for now but will finish later witn roll pins. I have not tried out heater unit on bottom of tray yet.

Jeff Oberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

For the overlay, how about adhesive-backed clear vinyl? The artwork could be reproduced on the computer and then printed-out. The only problem is that it appears that the lines are white--most printers do not print in white.

Post subject: Overlay
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:46 pm 

You were reading my mind. Seemes to me that I remember overlay type film that could be printed on. I will keep looking for a way to print white

Jeff Oberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Basically, there are very few printers that print white ink. The Alps printers do, but they have been discontinued. A handful of people keep them working. How would a light gray color look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

In terms of putting your popper on a 20 amp circuit, it will be close. Your kettle will probably draw close to 15 amps by itself. The agitator motor will draw less than 1 amp. You then have your lights and pan heater; these shouldn’t draw too much current. If you use just the kettle and agitator motor, and don’t place anything else on the circuit it should work. The definitive way to determine the load is to use a multi-meter to measure the ohms of each part of the popper—kettle, lights, pan heater, etc. and calculate the total load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 pm 

I will check for sure and will use an inductive amp clamp. I will let you know what it is. I will also send you some better pictures of front on machine without boxes in the way

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:02 pm 

Our local High School / Booster Club has a Manley popper. Also, have the manual & wiring diagram for it! One question I have- the watts,amps, etc differ from what is on this web-site for a 185 model. Ours says 'Model 185, Serial 185-1297, Watts 2160, Amps 18, Volts 120, Cycles 60. More than 1 model of Model 185?? The manual says it is a Petti-Pop. The last page of the manual is a drawn diagram- says 'drawn 12-16-65.
Anyway, it is in excellent condition!....Except!...not working at this time!!!!
Last spring the handle used to dump the kettle broke off- so over the summer we had someone weld it back on. Then, the kettle was really black, and needed cleaning, so was cleaned. Now, it does not work! I believe the kettle is cast. Possibly moisture in the plug while cleaning?? Or could have the welding shorted it out?? Tried to find new plug, but could not find one like it. Need new kettle?? Or way to repair this one?? Any help or ideas appreciated!! Thanks
________

Last edited by eagles on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi Eagle,

Welcome to the Forum, sorry to hear of your troubles.

Yes, Manley did change the design of the models over the years. Also, many machines could be fitted with different kettles. This would explain the difference in the wattage. The design shown in the brochure at the top of the page calls for 12 Oz kettle. This would require a special circuit as most standard outlets are 15 or 20 amp, not 30 amp. Since the goal was portability a small kettle would be preferred. So they probably put a smaller kettle in it.

Generally if a kettle is not heating, the problem is the electrical connection to the kettle. You will need to check all of the connections. Since work was done on the kettle, I would look for loose wires around the kettle.

The kettle has several basic parts. The kettle itself is some type of cast aluminum. Aluminum is a great material for the kettle in that disperses the heat evenly. The is then a shroud that covers the kettle. The wiring to the elements is covered by this shroud. I would remove this shroud and check this wiring. Note, this would be high-temperature wiring. The thermostat is also located on the kettle and covered by the shroud. I would then contnue backwords through the wiring until you find the problem.

Also, never use water to clean the kettle. Use products like Carbon Off for cleaning the kettle. About the only thing that can destroy a kettle is moisture.

Ross.