[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
forum.manleypopcornmachine.com • View topic - favorite popcorn

forum.manleypopcornmachine.com

Manley Popcorn Machine Forum

Photo Gallery
Manley Popcorn Machine Web Page

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: favorite popcorn
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:17 pm 

Ok so now I'm looking for a new pocorn. tell me your personal favorite popcorn and why. Also what oil do you use and seasoning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

You have to pop it in coconut oil--the Manley way. On the popcorn, I am still looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:35 pm 

We've used a lot of different brands of popcorn over the years. I used to buy Vogel Popcorn right from the local farm until they closed it down. I just buy whatever brand my supplier has now. Recently they sold me some Redenbacher popcorn that was supposed to pop up bigger but we didn't notice any difference really. The old Aristocrat makes great popcorn from any brand you give it..

..and yes, coconut oil works and tastes best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm 

...and we use Flavacol salt and Savory topping oil.

Post subject: Re: favorite popcorn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 pm 

Time to update this subject.
My favorite.... Jolly Time White Pop Corn, Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Morton Popcorn Salt (no iodine, unflavored). That's it.
Combined in a Manley Inc. (or Burch) popcorn machine = The Best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm 

I mentioned this on the How To Pop thread but I'll just say it again here.
If you own a popcorn machine you OWE it to yourself to go to the store and buy a plastic container of POP SECRET JUMBO popping corn. You'll never find another corn that pops up a LARGE at this new Pop Secret.....I promise.
I've tried 'em all and Pop Secret is the best yet. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

With the suggestions on popcorn, I decided to do a taste test.

All of the popcorn was popped with coconut oil and Mighty Pop popcorn salt. The one on the left is my standard Sam's Club popcorn. Sorry, I have forgotten the brand name as it was bought in a 40 pound bag. The next is Forum Member Marcus's suggestion--Jolly Time white popcorn. On the right is Forum Member Movie Man's suggestion of Pop Secret Jumbo Popping Corn.

From a looks perspective, the Pop Secret popped the largest and looked the best of the three. The Jolly time was the smallest of the three.

Among my immediate family, the initial vote was 6-0 for the Pop Secret. However two people changed their minds to the Jolly Time. The Jolly time has a nice crunch to it that is very addictive.

I also did a taste test at my office, 7 people voted for the Pop Secret. Many stating it had a more buttery taste. 2 people voted for the Jolly Time, with 1 for Sam's.

Everyone said that all 3 were good. So I don't think that you could go wrong with any of them.

Ross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 pm 

That's a great taste test you ran there Ross.
I've had no less than 50 different people over here for movie parties since I switched to the Pop Secret corn. Everyone seems to agree that the Pop Secret was the best of what I've popped in the past.
I don't think I'll ever change brands!!!
Thanks for sharing your results!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Taste test was a lot of fun. All three are excellent choices. Part of the preference between the Pop Secret and the Jolly Time is texture. The Pop Secret is fluffy, while the Jolly Time is more crunchy. So, I think the texture plays a big role in your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:48 pm 

Point taken on the Pop Secret. I have wanted to try it, but still have not found any locally. I saw some on Walmart.com but it shows unavailable and about double the price (plus shipping) of the Jolly Time White I had been buying at a local Walmart. It was even more expensive than that at some other online sites, so I didn't order any. But recently even the Jolly Time White has been out of stock in my store.

Also I wonder could it be that the visually larger popped corn has a subjective advantage on the taste test? I already knew that the white corn popped smaller, but the kernals are half the size of regular yellow kernals to start with. So relative to the size of the kernals, I think the white may have just as good a popping capacity. A good test would be to pop 12 oz. of white vs 12 oz. of yellow and compare the popped volumes.

Lastly, any fair taste test should take into consideration the time since popping. Fresh popped corn is generally best because it is warm and light and crispy. But very quickly it can absorb moisture and become cold and heavy and chewy. Now I actually enjoy it both ways, even a week old, but you can't really compare fresh popped corn with day old, or even 1 hour old popcorn.

And one final lastly, I know visual appeal is certainly important in the appreciation of any food, so I find it interesting that although none of the three batches of popcorn was butter flavored in this test, the batch with the most yellow color was perceived as having the most buttery taste.

Last edited by marcus on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

I think part of the difference might be the appearance. The Pop Secret is a great looking popcorn.

By the way, my taste test is not very scientific. Just trying out some different popcorn and having some fun doing it. So don't take this test as the ultimate answer. In the end, all three had a very good taste and different people liked different popcorn. So, bottom line, it comes down to a personal choice as to what you think is the best. Or as my friend Roy commented, "they are all good. I don't care which popcorn you use as long as you bring me some."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 pm 

I enjoy fresh, hot popcorn but the corn that comes out of my Burch is good for almost a week if kept in an air tight container. I usually over pop for parties so I'm always taking popcorn back upstairs. There's rarely a day that goes by that I'm not eating at least some popcorn.
The quality of the corn used has a lot to do with the taste and in my opinion yellow salt makes the corn that much better. I realize that everyone doesn't like yellow salt. It's just a personal taste thing.
Having said all of that, NOTHING improved the taste of my popcorn as much as popping in a Burch kettle. I've been popping corn in steel kettles for many, many years and there is ZERO comparison between the cast kettle and the steel kettle.
I wouldn't take a newer model popcorn machine if you gave it to me not to mention the newer poppers just don't have any style!!! Long live the 30's and 40's Burch and Manley poppers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 pm 

I've tried a lot of different popcorn brands at my theatre over the years and have not seen much difference.. -Until I tried Pop Secret after reading this post. Wow, that's some big fluffy popcorn!

I've been buying the 30oz jars at Target and mixing it in with my cheap stuff lately to put a little more fluff into the mix. I wish I could find a place to buy it in larger quantities.

Thanks for this post!